Saturday, July 28, 2007

Another reason to be happy here in Colorado


Hatch green chile! Hooray!
Bonus points for Colorado: it was sold at a roadside stand, by a group of people with a real roaster.
The first summer I was in Austin, Central Market had this huge Hatch green chile promotion. They roasted it over mesquite, which I found perverse. For one thing, the mesquite smoke covered up the wondrous smell of roasting chiles. For another thing, the fire was way too hot, and half of the five pounds that I bought turned out to be char. Finally, they had CM staff outside on a sunny July day, turning these things over by hand over a grill (wrong). I wrote an angry letter to the management, and I got a gift certificate and an apology from them, and for some reason they never did this promotion again.
But now I'm back in the region where people know how this sort of thing is done! I can't wait to buy a chest freezer so I can stock up for a year.
By the way, Pete's folks just got through with a lovely week-long visit here, as visitors to our Flickr site should already know. They brought with them a huge ice chest full of tomatoes, sweet corn, beets and ... some green chile they had grown themselves! I guess the visits to New Mexico have rubbed off on them. The chiles they grew are quite mild, but they have a nice flavor, and we're still enjoying them a week after they left.

3 Comments:

Blogger la rebelde said...

yay! you know, in austin and in michigan, i was forced to roast mine in my oven at home. it's just not the same. remember that time y'all had me over for lunch and we had curried tuna salad tacos? they've been my latest favorite lunchtime meal and i add lots of green chile and it's great. yummmmm!

July 28, 2007 7:46 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Huh. Maybe I should write an angry letter to Central Market complaining about all the rug rats running around there. D'ya think that would come to an end? Nah? I'd settle for a gift certificate.

July 29, 2007 8:35 AM  
Blogger jennifer said...

wow. you are one powerful new mexican. poor central market management. you probably scared the bejeezus out of them. ;)

July 30, 2007 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home