Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Quick response to meme from Jennifer

Jennifer tagged me with this meme last week.

1. One book that changed your life: Who can name one? William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse, Ron Arias' Road to Tamazunchale, and for better or for worse, Ana Castillo's So Far from God.

2. One book that you've read more than once: I have to agree with Jennifer, Loving Pedro Infante is a pretty great, rewarding read, even when you're doing it for work. Does it count if it's in my diss? If not, I can reccommend Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series and Garth Nix's Abhorsen series for good old-fashion YA fantasy fun.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: Little Nemo in Slumberland: So Many Wonderful Sundays! Not only would I never get bored, this book is so huge I could probably live underneath it. So having avoided dying from exposure, I could efficiently move on to dying of starvation.

4. One book that made you laugh: Vladimir Nabokov's Pnin is about a bumbling, conceited, broken-hearted academic. I wasn't laughing at him, I was laughing with him.

5. One book that made you cry: Cleofas Jaramillo's Romance of a Little Village Girl made me weep, but only after a long, internal confrontation with the circumstances of her life and difficulty with being truthful. Jenn can attest to hard I cried when I did. A book that makes me cry right off the bat? Leslie Marmon Silko's Ceremony.
6. One book you wish had been written: A Colorado Version of The Texas Bug Book. Entomologically speaking, here in Colorado I'm at my wits end.

7. One book you wish had never been written: I'm a book nerd. I can't imagine wanting a book not to exist. However, I think that Madonna's Sex, the Chicken Soup for the Blah-blah Soul series, and Ann Coulter will be judged by the souls of the trees that gave their lives for these wastes of time.

8. One book you're currently reading: From Dissertation to Book by William Germano.

9. One book you've been meaning to read: I got half way through The Master and Margarita, but I lost it in the move. I'll have to replace it and finish it, since when I was last looking Margarita's husband had just been turned into a pig!

10. Six people to tag: I think that if you're one of the three people likely to read this, you've probably already done this thing. A meme reaches its natural death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home