Friday, June 30, 2006

What it means for nerds to marry

I've started organizing our things for our move, and so the first thing I decided to do was to make an organized list of all of my books, using EndNote. (You can already tell that I am a party person, right?) I decided to start with enlightenment philosophers and 18th century fiction, since it's unlikely that I will need these in the coming couple of months.
So I asked Pete if he wanted me to add his books to the box that I am putting together. His face went blank, trying to find a nice way to put what he had to say next.
You see, Pete and I have seen each other through some pretty rough spots, and through some pretty remarkable triumphs too. In a lot of ways, our wedding is simply a legal sanction on what we've had for years: love, intellectual companionship, and help in hard times.
However, it seems like Pete and I have reached the nerd's version of saving it until marriage: merging our archives. And just in case you think this is a double entendre, it's not. We had a long and nervous conversation, at the end of which we both decided that we might, at some point in the future, mix all of our books together. Afer the wedding. Phew! Pressure's off!
In the meantime, we live together in the same apartment, but until I say "I do" and Pete gets that ring on his finger, our copies of "The Social Contract" will not touch.

1 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

you could always write your name inside the cover of each book. that might make the merge a little less nerve wrecking. (not that you wouldn't be able to tell which book belonged to the other based on the handwriting/notes scribbled in the margins!).

nerds.

;)

July 01, 2006 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home