Monday, October 02, 2006

Learning a new place

Well, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed in our new neighborhood today. I've lived in a some dodgy places, where your neighbors changed from one week to the next. I've once had someone try to break into my apartment while I was sleeping in the next room. I've had radios, and laundry, and even a gas grill stolen from my property. But this incident from Saturday night really takes the cake:



Some joker took a flag from the golf course down the street, and used the heavy, weighted end to bash three divots into the windshield of our truck.

Pete and I heard the noise on Saturday night, but we didn't investigate at the time. On Sunday morning, this was waiting for us. Now, to me, this has all the markers of random teenage mayhem. It's going to take a couple of hundred dollars to fix. Still, if I'm going to be on the experience end of crime, I think that I would rather be robbed. Robbery, to me, is motivated by things that make sense to me. But this is just a stupid waste.

It's too bad, because I was busy last week taking pretty pictures. I'll share them anyway, even if I am in a totally pissy mood.
Here's a picture of Pikes Peak. I took it a couple of weeks ago from the parking lot of King Sooper's.


Here's something in my neighborhood that always makes me laugh. The people who put it up must know how awesome it is, because they have locked it down-- preventing a crime that I could totally understand.

6 Comments:

Blogger Olga said...

Oh, Pete and Lo, that's so awful! Small consolation that the person who did that has a pea brain and probably has to take off his shoes in order to count to ten. I'm sure you also have some perfectly lovely neighbors to balance out the mouth breathers.

I love that dog!

October 02, 2006 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's horrible! It must be "car-trouble week"--I'm also dealing with car issues right now (though, of course, mine have perfectly good explanations: e.g. old car, bad starter, etc.).
I love the mountain picture. The peak looks so serene and beautiful in its white coolness against the bright blue sky. I'd love to live close by, teenage idiot meyhem or not.

October 03, 2006 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your car. Nothing like a little senseless teenage violence, eh?

Did you hear that my lawnmower got stolen the other week? That sucked, but I think it'd've sucked worse to have had somebody bash it until it needed to be repaired before it would function. Like you, I'd prefer to be the victim of a crime I can wrap my mind around (although given the choice I'd just as soon have somebody sneak up and fix my car, or leave me a nicer lawnmower, or something like that).

Jake

October 03, 2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger jennifer said...

how horrible! i'm so sorry. :( i'm with olga; i think that you'll have other neighbors that will be great, and you'll be able to commiserate about the riff raff together. :)

October 03, 2006 12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carlena here. I hate senseless violence of any kind. Have you found out if your insurance will cover the replacement windshield?

October 03, 2006 2:30 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

In answer to Mom's question, no our insurance doesn't cover it. If a the people had stolen something, our renter's insurance would have covered it. The renter's insurance would have covered a broken window to the house, I expect, but a broken car window is out. I went to get a new windshield yesterday afteroon, and it set us back about $150.

October 04, 2006 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home