Friday, August 17, 2007

A Bolt from the Blue

Just like New Mexico, our part of Colorado gets monsoon rains in the afternoon during the month of August. Today, I was on campus when the regular storm came, and when I heard the first thunder, I left my office so I could make it home without getting dumped on. As I was walking to my bike, I heard a deafening explosion, followed by the sound of falling rock and a chorus of car alarms. Moving toward the college chapel, I saw a cloud of what looked like smoke or dust. As I rounded the side of the chapel, it became clear that lightning had struck the south tower. At left (a view facing southeast,) you can see a dislodged stone.

Here on the right is a second view, facing northwest from the other side of the chapel, showing the damage more clearly. The lightning hit the spire, knocking heavy stones from the top down. As they fell, they dislodged some of the roof tiles. Here is the rubble below. This is actually the second lightning strike on campus this week. The other building struck was a house that contains administrative offices. Somebody told me which one, but I can't remember the name.

Of course, this is no freak accident. As some of you may have heard, Shove Chapel is now the meeting place for the faction of the St. Stephen's Episcopal congregation that remains loyal to the Anglican Communion. Some members of the congregation voted to secede and join the breakaway faction that opposes the ordination of Gay and Lesbian bishops. This faction is led in Colorado Springs by St. Stephen's pastor Don Armstrong, who has been accused of financial misdeeds by the Diocese of Colorado. I think that this lightning strike is a clear sign of divine will. It's as clear as day. God hates f***. And he loves thieves. [/fred phelps].
Or maybe he was trying to say something about the wedding that was being rehearsed in the chapel...

1 Comments:

Blogger la rebelde said...

ahh the rainy season! i used to love it when i was a kid because it meant i could sit around in my room and read for hours. it also reminded me of that song on sesame street..."it's a rainy day, it's a rainy day. it's raining outside and i can't go out and play. why do we need the rain anyway?" :)

August 22, 2007 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home