Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Maybe This Guy Broke our Windshield


Things are getting wierder here in C/S (yes, non-Chicanas/os really use that abbreviation here--probably not knowing what it means!). This afternoon, while Laura was away at her first meeting of the CC Women's Faculty Caucus, I got a call from the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I picked up the phone, and a voice sounding very much like the Gropinator said, "Hello, this is Arnold Schwarzenegger." When I said, "Who?" it repeated with identical intonation, "This is Arnold Schwarzenegger," and then asked "What do you want me to do?" I asked, "Who is this?" again, and the voice answered, again with identical intonation, "This is Arnold Schwarzenegger." When the "What do you want me to do?" question came again, I said, "Resign." The voice asked, "What do you want me to do?" and when I repeated, "Resign," it said, "Don't bullsh*t me." At this point, thought of telling the voice some things I would like for it to do with Jesse Ventura in Kinky Friedman's bed, but thought better of it and hung up.

I could chalk this up to a prank easily enough, but it had a wierd, automated sort of feel to it. So I traced the number ($1.00 more on my phone bill) and then thought of looking this sort of prank up on the Interweb. Turns out that there are quite a few people out there using their computers to do joke calls with recordings of Schwarzenegger's voice. Here is only one of many sites that offers sample calls to download. This site offers calls involving other celebrity voices. I've listened to a few of the Arnold ones, and the "don't bullsh*t me" line does occur.

I would think this was funny if it weren't for the windshield. Could this be a coincidence? We'll see if this wierdness continues.

3 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

i have to say, life in the C/S seems a little weird!

October 05, 2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

At least we have a real fall!!

Any thoughts on how to translate "con safos" for the perplexed. The blogger "The Daily Texican" defines it as c/s: "and what, or untouchable". When he says "and what," he means "y que?" a phrase that might be better translated "you wanna make something of it?" My sense is that "con safos" does not really denote, but it adds emphasis to a statement, give a defiant tone to that statement, and singals the speaker's affiliation with rebellious Chicana/o youth culture. Any other takes?

October 06, 2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger Pete said...

At least we have a real fall!!

Any thoughts on how to translate "con safos" for the perplexed. The blogger "The Daily Texican" defines it as c/s: "and what, or untouchable". When he says "and what," he means "y que?" a phrase that might be better translated "you wanna make something of it?" My sense is that "con safos" does not really denote, but it adds emphasis to a statement, give a defiant tone to that statement, and singals the speaker's affiliation with rebellious Chicana/o youth culture. Any other takes?

October 06, 2006 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home